Thursday 24 February 2011

The Struggle



But sir, I need this chance. I need it, and I will fulfil your expectations… please sir, this one last chance??” Ashmita begged as the bossy, arrogant, so called audition man, Mr. Shekhar Mukherjee drunk his tea making noisy slurps. Looking towards Ashmita in a nasty way, he said, “You see, you have a lot of talent… in this country we have good talent like you, but rarely, groomed talent like…like…me or Pritam da… or Rahman sahab!! So… I guess you try again next year?? Riwaz karo sab ho jaega!!”

Ashmita was stunned. She had been working hard over the past two years for that

mega audition for ‘the singing star of India’. She had given her best shot, and expected appreciation… but sadly, she was unaware of the nasty politics that was supposed to be superior to young talent that demanded recognition… she smiled slightly and said, “Riwaz toh kar rahe hain sahab… but it is really a shame, that people like us remain unrecognized for the entire life, just because of people like you who can game out so well…”

“How dare --!!” shouted Mr. Mukherjee. Ashmita lifted up her hand and said, “I dare, because I have spoilt two damn years of my life. I have dedicated 15 damn years to my music!! And now you say that I am not groomed???? HOW DARE YOU!!!”

Mr. Mukherjee was stunned. Never had he faced a candidate in his life, who would revolt like that.

Ashmita continued, “Sir, I do not have as much grooming as you have. You are groomed because someday, some person had given you a chance to be groomed…so isn’t it your responsibility to give a chance to those who deserve rather than to those who are lucky enough to be born to rich families???? Anyway, I will reach my goal someday… but please, sometimes, do tend to think for music rather than for your stinking rich pocket. I’ll take my leave. Thank you.”

Ashmita walked out of the audition room. She did not have a single tear drop on her eyes. She was determined, strong and confident, and nothing in the world could stop her from aiming high.

Her speech was not aired on television, but her performance was. Two days later, she received a call, and she was invited for the next round of auditions.


Annesha Ganguly

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank u star blogger!! aapka aashirwaad saath rahe to bas!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahem ahem..:P hum kya tumhe ashirwaad de? :P
    ur d best!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. are guruji ..apke ashirwaad ke bina ham adhure hain .. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. u shud say, 'akhand saubhagyawati bhavo!!'

    ReplyDelete